As St. Augustine once said, “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
What developments will revolutionize the way we think about travel in the next decade?
On Saturday, March 22, programmers, designers and tech buffs will join forces in Boston at hack/reduce to create the next big travel app.
The day will commence with idea pitches and formation of teams with up to four members. Hacking will begin immediately after, with presentations to the judges and prizes at the end of the day.
We’ll supply the grub and caffeine, you bring your computer and creativity.
Judges will be looking for apps that have the potential to shape the way we travel in the future.
To be eligible for a prize, the projects:
- Teams can be no larger than four (4) people; any person can only be a member of one (1) team and, if participating as part of a team, cannot participate as an individual. Once a team has been registered, its members cannot be changed or substituted.
- A majority of your work must be developed on premise at hack/reduce.
- Must be open sourced following the event under an open source license selected by the Contest Entities (defined below), unless Contest Entities elect to negotiate a commercial license.
- Must not include proprietary code that would limit use by others that want to continue the project after the completion of the Hackathon.
- Any additional data sets used during the Hackathon must also be publicly available. If you have ideas for other public data sets that could be interesting for this event, please email email@example.com so they can be provided to the other participants as well.
- Limit one (1) entry per person.
- Submissions must include a presentation and/or a working demo of the app prototype.
$11,250 in prizes
Grand Prize: Round Trip Airfare to Dubai
Four (4) GRAND PRIZES: Each winners (or, any winner is a team, each member of the winning team (up to four (4) individuals)) will receive one (1) Emirates Airline round trip economy airfare from Logan International Airport to Dubai International Airport (up to a maximum value of $2,500 per ticket).
One (1) SECOND PRIZE: Winner or team will receive seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750.00).
One (1) THIRD PRIZE: Winner or team will receive five hundred dollars ($500.00).
Honorable Mention: Idea
Honorable Mention for Idea
Honorable Mention: Execution
Honorable Mention for Execution
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
To participate, registration is required here: https://mashhackstravel.eventbrite.com
Senior Tech Analyst, Mashable
Director of Research, Hopper
Formerly Director of Engineering, KAYAK Mobile
Senior Associate, Bessemer Venture Partners
Is the concept creative, forward-thinking, and resourceful?
Interactivity with User
Is the user readily engaging with the content of the app?
Is it easy to learn and navigate the content?
Is this project the start of something bigger? Is there potential for a business venture, an open source project, or internet virality?
Is this project immediately useful? Could the correlations the team identified offer immediate consumer/social impact if addressed with your recommendation(s)?
What was your overall first impression of this app?
Is the data presented in an aesthetic, effective and imaginative way?
How much of the app was the team able to complete in the time of the hackathon?